March 18, 2011

Monrovia Canyon Falls



Driving Directions

·      Exit the 210 Freeway @ Myrtle Avenue & head North through Old Town Monrovia
·      Turn Right @ Foothill Blvd
·      Turn Left @ Canyon Blvd, turn left through residential for about 1 mile
·      Turn Right into Canyon Park


Well that was pretty much an amazing hike to kick off this blog, first off: I was accompanied by my best hiking companion, Daniel. This vivacious four year old is tearing it up on the trails these days at times leaving me in the dust; and he definitely did better than Eaves a couple weeks ago haha.

Before even making it to the park I had the opportunity to drive through Old Town Monrovia and I must say I am a fan.  The town was quaint and teeming with foot traffic, which made me yearn to move there and ditch the vehicle.   

I could not have asked for a more gorgeous day, the temperatures in the high 70s with abundant invigorating sunshine.  To make things even better, since it was midweek we shared the trail with 3 trail-runners and that was about it. All factors considered it was perfect hiking conditions!

Upon arriving I was informed by the ranger on duty that my original plan to hike the Bill Cull Trail would not happen. Apparently fire damage has rendered that particular route to the waterfall impassible. No matter he informed me: there is an alternate route that takes you to the waterfall and it’s a little better suited for the little guy.


The beginning of the trail was marked with clever posts adorned with numbered tiles emblazoned with little nature themed pictures. Daniel got a kick out of these, as he would look for the next number (at one point declaring I went the wrong way because we skipped a number).
The trail is simple and well-maintained and did not venture away from the stream at any point. There was two points where you must cross the stream, but both are pretty effortless rock hops. I will say there is a fairly noticeable temperature drop on the trail. This can be credited to an impressive tree canopy overhead through the bulk of the hike. Just be warned that the immense amount of shade made it quite difficult to work on the tan!

Just before you arrive at the waterfall there is a cavernous rock wall on the left side that I recall captivated me to stare at it for a while.  The pictures do not really do it justice, but they seldom have the same force as the having been there.

Waterfall


Daniel and I had lunch at waterfall, as we often do on our hikes. It was nice, we had the waterfall to ourselves with the only visitor being a millipede that joined us after the sandwich course. The area around the waterfall offers lots of flat surrounding great for setting up the new tripod, or if you happen to come on a busy day. Sit and have lunch. I suggest turkey on wheat for this particular hike. The millipede disagrees.

If you happen to check it out have a great hike and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment